Whether you celebrate with fireworks, cookouts, or just spending time with family, July 4th is one of the highlights of summer. Celebrating Independence Day allows us to show our appreciation for our freedom, country, and community. If you're looking for holiday activities to-do this year, make a trip to Roanoke Island. We've mapped out a day worth of exciting events to attend that are all within walking distance. Follow our Independence Day itinerary for an exciting and memorable Fourth of July.
- 9:00 a.m. - Start your day with breakfast and a stroll around the park. Enjoy a cup of coffee while exploring our waterfront boardwalk, pier, and trails. Enjoy the sights, sounds, and coastal wildlife around you.
- 10:00 a.m. - Begin the festivities with an early American history lesson at Roanoke Island Festival Park. Learn more about the first English settlement in America along with over 400 years of Outer Banks history.
- 12:00 p.m. - Take a short walk to any of the wonderful restaurants downtown. Sandwich shops, burger joints and fresh seafood spots are all nearby.
- 3:00 p.m. - The Town of Manteo's July 4th festivities kick off in front of the Dare County Arts Council building with a singing of the National Anthem and presentation of both the United States and North Carolina Flags. Kid's games and activities, Independence Day trivia, a decorated bike contest (trike, scooter, and wagons welcome too), apple pie contest, food, and summer treats are some of the exciting things to do downtown.
- 4:30 p.m. - Unpack your blankets or low back chairs and get ready for the Independence Day Concert at Roanoke Island Festival Park. Gates open to the public at 4:30 p.m.
- 5:15 p.m. - Watch 80's cover band, The Deloreans, perform your favorite hits from the 80's (presented by the Town of Manteo).
- 7:45 p.m. - Following The Deloreans, Roanoke Island Festival Park will host the 82nd Airborne Band & Chorus as they present a star-spangled salute to our country featuring patriotic music. Watch the sunset over the water and enjoy the music and views.
- At Dusk - And now of the main attraction, the Town of Manteo's fireworks show!